The Fiber Network Management Supervisor is responsible for the planning, design, activation, and maintenance of all fiber projects. Daily operations include supervising staff, assigning, scheduling and coordinating workload. The supervisor is responsible for completing projects on time and within budget. The supervisor is responsible for training the fiber network management staff on new products and new procedures. The supervisor interacts with other support groups (CTS, Plant Maintenance, ISP, Lightpath, Construction, Design) to meet common goals. This position serves as a conduit for the delivery of all residential consumer and commercial products such as iO Video, OOL, VoIP, Lightpath and BCOOL.
Supervises the day-to-day activities of the fiber technical staff and contractors including the allocation, installation, splicing, testing, documentation and service of fiber optic network, fiber optic cable and fiber optic equipment in a manner that ensures company technical requirements are adhered to, thereby ensuring customer satisfaction through high level operation efficiency. Ensures that all fiber plant (aerial, underground, etc) meets or exceeds all company standards as it relates to POC, state and federal requirements. Plans and coordinates all activities for fiber related special projects. Supervise contractor labor. Ensures tat all work performed is in compliance with OSHA, National Safety Code (NESC), National Electric (NEC) standard, Blue Book, SCTE Construction and Fiber Manuals, Building Code Administration Officials (BOCA), and corporate policies and procedures. Assist the fiber network manager in daily work procedures. Position services as a conduit for the delivery of all residential consumer and commercial products such as iO Video, OOL, VoIP, Lightpath and BCOOL.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises the technicians. Plans, distributes and oversees daily work activities to ensure that established goals and objectives are met. Monitors jobs and identifies training and development needs for technicians. Ensures company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed are met. Mentor to staff, providing support, motivation, and on-the-job coaching to help improve individual technician performance. Provides training to the staff for updates on new equipment or revised work procedures. Provides input to manager concerning technician’s performance, training needs, disciplinary actions, promotions, etc. Handles various employee issues. Prepares required documentation including annual performance reviews.
- Responsible for the supervision of immediate restoration of the entire fiber plant for any and all services including residential consumer, commercial, and Lightpath. On-site lead in the coordination of all restoration activity for all groups, including Inside Plant, Field Service, Construction, Fiber, NOC and NMC to ensure the most expeditious restoration of services. Ensures that any fiber outage is contained to the shortest time duration possible by implementing proper analytical skills, and technical skill sets of the staff are utilized to their maximum potential. Schedules the fiber staff, including the supervisor, to ensure proper round-the-clock standby coverage.
- Plans and oversees all projects including FTTH, Lightpath, GA/Municipal/Schools, BCOOL, commercial fiber projects, large venue fiber projects, fiber-fed Wi-Fi projects, and other special projects and all new growth builds, including overseeing contractor activity.
- Plans and oversees all node segmentation and node splits for performance improvement and the reduction in homes passed per node to minimize failure size.
- Completes all planned system maintenance related to fiber in a timely manner within the approved overnight maintenance windows. Supervises overnight staff to ensure timely completion.
- Ensures capital projects are completed in a timely manner within budget.
- Responsible to ensure the plant meets the specifications of the Blue Book construction manual, NESC, NEC, SCTE Construction and Fiber manuals, BOCA and local utility practices and other applicable regulations.
- Prepares necessary reports such as Monthly Activity, Lightpath Activations, Project Status, & PAR’s. Monitor reports for control of activities, schedules and costs. Collect, analyze and summarize information and trends.
- Ensure compliance with company Service Level Agreements (SLA) in an effort to achieve company performance objectives. Supervise Contractor labor to company SLA and ensure customer satisfaction goals are met.
- Ensures that contract labor & other monthly budgetary expectations are met.
- Manage, review and coordinate ACP process for all service affecting activity.
- Has advanced knowledge of all safety practices and procedures and ensures they are followed. Conducts daily safety observations and performs tool, equipment and truck inspections. Ensures that all work related equipment is available and properly maintained, and that all construction activities within the area of responsibility complies with all OSHA, NEC, NESC, BOCA and company safety rules and regulations
- Interfaces with other Cablevision departments, such as Lightpath, Customer Service, Field Service, Plant Operations, Audit, Sales, Design, Construction, H.R., etc. Coordinates with various supervisors or managers, e.g., to plan activities associated with system builds, restorations or maintenance.
- Performs additional duties for the manager as required including working independently to complete projects. This includes project leadership from conception and implementation. Represent manager during periods of his/her absence
- Assist in development and deployment of technology advances. Responsible for the deployment, implementation, and maintenance of fiber related monitoring systems such as the Quest Fiber Monitoring and Phoenix Chassis Monitoring.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Supervises the day-to-day operations of the department, is directly involved with and exercises independent judgment with respect to the following:
- Interviews candidates for open positions and makes recommendations for hire, rehire, or promotions.
- Reviews and approves employee schedules, which includes requested time off and ensures sufficient staffing levels through scheduling and assignment of overtime as needed.
- Coaches and counsels employees in the area of conflict resolution with internal and external customers.
- Makes initial determination regarding whether an employee under his/her direction and control should be counseled and/or disciplined and makes recommendations as to the nature of the discipline regarding the same, including the issues of corrective actions and Performance Improvement Plans (PIPs).
- Assigns work to employees based on the specific skills, training, experience and availability of the individuals under his/her direction and control and ultimately is responsible for the completion of said assignments.
- Assesses, prioritizes and alters work assignments of direct reports on a day-to-day basis as operational needs require.
- As needed, conduct periodic meetings with direct reports to provide: training on proper techniques, services, and monthly progress reports.
- Prepares, conducts, or gives input to performance evaluations for employees under his/her direction which is considered by the Company in determining annual merit increases.
- As needed, makes recommendations for termination based on employee’s performance and/or behavior.